We had chicken last night for dinner.
We had it again tonight.
I’m not normally one to make the same protein two nights in a row but I had extra chicken thawed from last night and all the laws of the chicken universe decreed I had to cook it.
But how? Last night we had this incredible chicken smothered in artichoke, leek, onion and lemon sauce over organic rotini pasta. Don’t worry that recipe will be forthcoming.
Tonight had to be something quite different; well as different as chicken can get from itself. I wasn’t in the mood for Mexican or Chinese; no bar-b-que, fried..hmmm.
I scanned through my trusty go-to-for-quick-idea site BigOven.com but in 170,000 nothing jumped out and said “ME ME MAKE ME!!”.
I decided to let it go and just let inspiration do what it wanted.
We had to eat right?
I pulled myself up into the kitchen and two steps past the dogs bowls I saw beautiful, glorious strip of bacon wrapping themselves around petite chicken breast and knew I had my base. A perfect marriage!
After that it was easy. Maybe it was something I had seen once in a magazine or perhaps someone named Jamie, Rachael or Paula had cooked it up on TV. Perhaps it was just a suppressed memory. Then maybe, just maybe there’s a brain cell in my head wearing a little white apron, sitting in the lotus pose (imagine the Buddha) channeling the ideas from chef’s long past.
No I didn’t sleep well last night thank you for asking.
Regardless of what was responsible for dinner I soon had asparagus, green onions, fresh parsley, tarragon and oregano layering themselves onto a perfect bed of butter and saffron rice. Yes, I actually tapped into my precious, heavily guarded, minuscule supply of saffron.
When it was all done I had something amazing. A symphony of flavor that even hubby and Wiz Kid sang to. (Not literally).
And yes, someday I will live in a house with white walls, lots of natural light and eventually figure out how to use this rock star camera that I’m treating as if it was a cheap point and shoot.
For now…let’s eat.
- 1 cup basmati rice cooked to package directions
- 2 large chicken breasts cut in half (about the size of your palm)
- 8 slices regular bacon
- 12-15 asparagus – tops only cut to about 4 inches
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 green onions sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp Each, thyme, tarragon, parsley – use fresh if available but dry will work
- 1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese – grated
- 2 Tbs unsalted real butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add minced onion and garlic. Cook approximately 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add chicken, season with salt, pepper and spices. Brown on all sides on medium heat about until almost completely cooked through – about 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan onto cutting board or prep counter.
- Place 3-4 asparagus spears on top of flattest part of chicken, lengthwise, then wrap chicken with two slices of uncooked bacon.
- Set wrapped chicken onto oven sheet and bake until bacon is cooked through but not crispy. About 15 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup rice to center of dish. Top with chicken, grated cheese and green onions.