As I have been sadly remiss in my “blogging” duties, I’m not going to draw this out into some long winded story of old, or fireside tales of my recent nothing-adventures in life.
I’ve been cooking, I promise I have. I have several recipes to post and will make a point of getting the latest and greatest up each day this week. Desserts seem to be the most popular recipes amongt blog readers here and about town so this is the first of a few sweet delights I’ll put up.
Sugary sweets tend to be the “IT” thing in kitchens this time of year. With all the December holidays approaching at break neck speed, cookies, cakes, pies and every conceivable delicious delight are being churned out in such titanic quantities, they make angel weep and motivate the Tooth Fairy to wax and lube her wings. It’s only right I contribute to the anarchy of forgotten diets, measured waistlines and carefully policed sweet tooth’s. Hey the Tooth Fairy needs to make a living as well. ( I have officially used up my all allocated uses of the word “sweet”).
I love chocolate.
I love cherries.
I love marshmallow.
Perhaps I should call these “The Divine Trinity Brownies”. (I did mention they make angels weep).
Cut then into shapes (like angel wings or bicuspids) or bite sizes or big sizes, whatever you like. You don’t even have to share! You’re already spreading things like; Holiday cheer and good will towards men, asking to share your desserts is just going too far! Don’t do it. If someone asks for a bite, smile and with as much holiday spirit you can muster, reply:
“Don’t come any closer and I promise you won’t get hurt…oh and happy holidays!!”
click “read more” for recipe.
- 8 oz Dark Chocolate, preferably Ghirardelli or better.
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter
- 1¼ cup Sugar
- ¾ cup Light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1½ tsp Pure vanilla extract or paste
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- ¾ tsp Salt
- 1½ cup Marshmallow cream (fluff)
- ¾ cup Maraschino cherries, chopped - juice reserved
- 1½ cups Baking chocolate or chips, semisweet or dark
- 8 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon Corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons Maraschino cherry juice
- 1 cup Almonds, chopped (optional)
- Heat oven to 350.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler or in a sauce pan on low heat, stirring constantly until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and add white and brown sugar and whisk until combined. Allow to cool until warm about 20 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla and gently combine. Do not over mix.
- Add flour and salt and mix until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a buttered 13 x 9 or 9 x 9 (for thicker brownies) baking pan. Set aside
- In a separate bowl, mix the marshmallow cream and cherries.
- Drop marshmallow mixture over brownies batter by spoons fulls and swirl with a rubber spatula or knife just over the top.
- Bake on middle over rack for 30-40 minutes.
- Cool completely and remove from pan, careful not to break them.
- In a small sauce pan, heat chocolate, butter and corn syrup over low heat, stirring constantly until completely melted.
- Stir in cherry juice and spread over the top of the brownies.
- Spread chopped almonds over top (if using) and refrigerate until set.