I’m about to say something but I want to prepare you first so you don’t go into shock. If you’re prone to heart arrhythimias, anxiety, light headedness or other stress induced symptomology, you may want to sit down.
Are you sitting?
Take a deep breath.
I made something healthy for dinner tonight.
I’ll give you a minute to absorb that. Catch your breath if you need to. Anyone need a bag? Nobody on the floor? If we need to call emergency services, now would be the time to do so. I promise it’ll pass.
Seriously however, if you look at the last recipes I’ve posted, all of them consecutively have been sugar and butter laden guilty pleasures. Eat too many of them and anyone would blow up like a blimp. Besides that, shrimp and brown rice were pretty much the only things I have left in my kitchen; almost.
I initially found this recipe in “Clean Eating Magazine” September/October 2009 issue. It was a simple shrimp scampi with corn and orzo. I had made it as the recipe was listed on several occasions and it’s very good. Being as I can’t leave any recipe alone, yes I messed with it. I added one of my favorite spices turmeric, added lima beans, replaced the orzo with brown rice and added thyme to the grains. So technically the only thing that remains of the original recipe is the shrimp and corn. What can I say, I’m a serious messer.
If you don’t use turmeric much I challenge you to use it more often. It’s practically a miracle spice. Really it is. Have a cut that’s infected; create a compress of warm water and turmeric and that pretty, inconspicuous spice will draw the infection right out. I’ve tried it; it works. It has amazing health benefits; look it up. I just love the stuff.
When I moved (oh I did just recently, I think I forgot to mention that – I bought a home. Crazy huh?) well when I moved I brought with me about two years worth of Clean Eating magazines. I’m not much of a paper girl and don’t get them any more. But they were and still are full of amazing recipes and healthy information. Definitely worth picking up a copy.
So there you are, I hope you survived the shocker. Just for future reference I’ll most likely be doing more healthy meals. Hey I need something to balance out all the sinful pleasures full of sugar.
- 1 cup Brown rice (cooked to package instructions)
- 2 tablespoons Butter, unsalted
- 1¼ cup Fresh corn
- 1 cup Fresh or frozen lima beans (no canned)
- 2 tablespoons Butter, unsalted
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced or mashed
- 1 pound Medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
- ½ cup Low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon Ground pepper
- Once rice is cooked, two tablespoons of butter, thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
- If using frozen corn and lima beans, heat in microwave or saucepan for about 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet melt butter and add garlic; saute for about a minute until fragrant.
- Add shrimp and sprinkle with pepper, turmeric & salt. Mix well and saute for two or three minutes.
- Add corn, lima beans and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and reduce broth slightly, stirring constantly to infuse spices.
- Transfer warmed rice to a serving dish and top with shrimp and vegetables. Pour juices over the whole delicious thing and serve.