What comes to mind when I say “salad“? Most people think “healthy“. I think “hungry” often followed by “too much work“. If you were to ask my boys what came to mind, they would unanimously say “rabbit food” followed by, “Don’t even think about it, Mom.”
To be honest, I love a good salad but they don’t keep well in the fridge for more than a day so they usually have to be made in small, one day, meal sizes, which brings me back to my initial thought of “too much work”. How ridiculous is that? Compared to making egg rolls (1 hour), focaccia (4 hours) or bœuf bourguignon (5-6 hours), 99% of all salads take 20 minutes max. I know, I’m being completely stupid. It’s a mind thing. I really do love a good salad.
Not only was this a magical moment when I saw this recipe, it was also one of those EUREKA-slap-me-upside-the-head-for-missing-that-captain-obvious-recipe-solution moments. Trust me, they are more common than I care to admit.
This had it all.
Quick – ✓
Easy – ✓
Meat – ✓
Filling – ✓
Healthy – ✓
I used tenderloins from the butcher because this salad only works with really good quality meat cooked no more than medium-rare and also, carnivore gods; it ensures they will eat it and I avoid bolts of lightning and temper tantrums.
Surprisingly said carnivore gods actually ate the rabbit food as well and it was so easy to put together I made it twice in ten days. Bonus win, I only used two knives, one cutting board, one salad bowl, one dressing bowl, and my super-awesome Cuisinart grill with removable grill plates plus serving plates and forks. This meant clean-up was as easy and quick as the prep.
There is no lose in making this. It’s a win all around and all the gods are pleased. Go forth and be blessed all you salad makers.
Enjoy Life. Eat Well.
- 4 steak tenderloins or 1 lb NY Strip
- 3 cups fresh greens
- 3 cups arugula
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- crumbled blue cheese
- 2 small tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
- ¼ cup sliced kalamata olives
- ½ cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ bell pepper, sliced (any color)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic wine vinegar (dark not white)
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper
- ¼ tsp horseradish sauce
- Combine all spices in a bowl.
- Combine the other half of the spices with the balsamic vinegar, mustard, horseradish, oil & water.
- Coat steaks with half of the spice mixture. Grill or cook in heavy skillet over high heat with some butter and/or olive oil until done. Medium rare steak is preferred for this recipe. 4 minutes per side for 1 inch steaks.
- Remove steak from heat just before finished. Let sit covered for 5 minutes. This is essential to let the meat relax and the juice run free. Makes them nice and tender.
- Combine greens, bell pepper, cucumber, olives and onion & toss with ½ dressing.
- Arrange salad on plates. Thinly slice meat and arrange over greens with tomatoes. Top with blue cheese.
- Drizzle the remaining dressing over top.